Wednesday, June 27, 2018

Martin R. Peterson


I have mentioned this before and I will again; newspaper research is probably my most favorite type of research.  I've invested in a newspaper.com subscription and it has been very fruitful for me.

Some advice I would give when doing research in newspapers is that "once is not enough."  Persistence is key to finding stories or clues.  Play around with name variations or misspellings.  Don't assume that because it doesn't come up in the search results it's not there.  I've been able to find stories about individuals in my family tree by thinking creatively and not giving it "one" shot.  It makes sense to go back to old searches when there are updates.

Case in point.  I thought I have found everything in Newspapers.com about my grandfather's brother Robert and his adoptive parent Martin R. Peterson (no relation.)  This post would be a waste of my time if I hadn't found some new information.  I found several items of interest and some not so interesting.  I'll share the interesting items here.


New information here:  Martin R. Peterson and his adopted son Robert Peterson moved from Nevada, Missouri to Osawatomie, Kansas.  It may be possible that they moved somewhere else in between, but I'm not sure as of yet.
29 May 1909, The Osawatomie Globe (KS)
Here is an advertisement of his business:
19 Dec. 1907, The Osawatomie Globe (KS)
Business seems to be going fine until a burglary.  Clothes over jewelry.  A well dressed thief.

13 Jan. 1910, The Osawatomie Globe (KS)
Tailoring a dangerous job?  Who would have thought?   Probably not work related.

29 Sept. 1910, The Osawatomie Globe (KS)
I wonder if competition was becoming an issue and it was time to move on.
30 Nov. 1911, The Osawatomie Globe (KS)
New Information again:  I had no clue that they (Martin & Robert) had lived in Moberly, MO either.  The Tailoring business must be easy to pick up and move.  The next article gives the actual location in Moberly.  Interesting that this simple move in 1911 was worth putting in the paper in 1961 (not a mistake.)
29 Nov. 1961, Moberly Monitor-Index (MO)
Final Destination-As you can see from the article below, Martin R. Peterson had moved his tailoring business for the FOURTH time.  His time in Moberly, MO was short.
25 April 1935, The Sedalia Democrat (MO)

No comments:

Post a Comment